Thursday, February 10, 2005

No Strings Attached

Someone in my building is kind enough to have a wireless connection, so thanks to my lovely new computer (now named Dellawhere), this is being posted . . . THROUGH THE AIR! Such marvelous and interesting times we live in.

I had my book group over for dinner last night, and we discussed Laurie Halse Anderson's fabulous new novel Prom and ate pancakes. The pancakes were universally acclaimed, so I thought I would post the recipe (taken from another book for youngish readers, Deborah Hopkinson's delightful Fannie in the Kitchen, illustrated by Nancy Farmer):

Fannie Farmer's Famous Griddle Cakes

2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
1 egg
2 cups milk
2 tbsp melted butter

In a large bowl, mix and sift dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl, beat the egg, add milk, and pour this slowly on the dry mixture. Beat everything together thoroughly and add the butter. Drop by spoonfuls (I use a soup ladle) on a greased hot griddle. When one side is puffed full of bubbles in the center and cooked on the edges, turn and cook on the other side. Serve with butter, syrup, and whatever toppings you choose.

I would also like to report that I am happy to play e-scrabble with anyone who would care to challenge me. Anyone? Anyone?

1 comment:

  1. When one side is puffed full of bubbles in the center and cooked on the edges, turn and cook on the other side.

    ReplyDelete