Sunday, August 02, 2009

Two Easy-Peasy Recipesies and Some Church Announcements

I baked both this yellow cake and these brownies for the soup kitchen at my church today, and they were both remarkably easy (one bowl each, with v. common ingredients) and quite delicious. We served the yellow cake with fruit compote and it made a yummy quasi-shortcake.

Also: My church runs a soup kitchen every Sunday afternoon at 1:30 p.m. Should you or someone you know be in need of a good meal and company, please do stop by: Park Slope United Methodist, at the corner of 6th Ave. and 8th St. in Brooklyn.

Finally: I will be speaking again (that is, giving a lay sermon) at said church in two weeks. I don't think the talk will have anything to do with writing this time (unlike last time), but I was thinking today about sign-signified relations in religion, so you never know. (And if you actually think I know anything more about deconstructionism than sign-signified relations . . . well, I will allow you to continue to think that.) Services are at 10 a.m. if you'd like to come.

4 comments:

  1. Sign-signified relations? What does that mean?

    I'm in the middle of the book of Jeremiah at work -- I listen on an audiobook called "The Bible Experience," which makes for good listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just reading Writer's Digest July/August issue and saw "Ask the Pro" article about you. And, I'm sorry, but I can't help saying that when you talked about your "Biggest Pet Peeve" about writers who waste your time, that I thought you wasted my time with your silly contest and your weak answer to my challenge to you for not answering me. You were defensive and tried to make excuses for yourself. I was honest with you and told you a little bit about myself and that I admired your work and had read one of the books you edited... and you basically blew me off. I think you have an overblown opinion of yourself and have a lot to learn. Before you go giving advice in a writer's magazine and waxing wise I suggest you learn how to reply to an intelligent person who's been around and not treat them like one of your little groupies. As I told you, I have four successful daughters, two of them in New York City, more successful than you, and they would never have treated me via the Internet as you treated me. If you can't handle a reply from an older person as far as I'm concerned you are not a senior editor your are still a junior editor.

    Bill Penningon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wish I could be there when you speak, but I work Sundays. Bummer. But some day in the future I'd like to check out your church. I currently go to The Journey on the Upper West Side (when I can). But you talk about your church often and I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohhh I LOVE brownies and this recipe looks much easier than the one I use. I'm all over it!

    ReplyDelete